In a nutshell
An experienced writer and photographer, I've created content for dozens of publications and websites. I'm a hard-working, versatile communicator who works well under tight deadlines and high-pressure situations.
1996-present Freelance Writer
- My articles have been published in National Geographic Traveler, AARP Bulletin, Cyclocross Magazine, Hooked on the Outdoors, Outdoor Indiana, Antique Week, Indianapolis at Home, Evansville Living, Ambassadair’s Journey and other magazines.
- Volunteer blogger for the Indy Cog bicycling advocacy website. Wrote short destination pieces and previewed local sporting events for AOL’s Digital Cities Indianapolis website.
- Covered the 2011 Collegiate Track Nationals for USA Cycling's website. Over the course of three days, I wrote multiple articles, took more than 1,500 photos and sent close to 100 tweets.
2003-2011 Reporter – The Indianapolis Star, Indianapolis, IN
- Covered government and breaking news throughout the Indianapolis metropolitan area, writing hundreds of articles for both print and web each year.
- Was the primary reporter for many major stories over the years, including the Carmel High School bus hazing incident, a molestation scandal at College Park Church and the Indiana Secretary of State’s felony voter fraud case.
- Well versed in using social media such as Facebook and Twitter for reporting purposes and connecting with my nearly 1,800 followers. Named one of the top five Twitter users in Indianapolis by local blogger Jonathan Haag, who wrote my tweets were “like having your own news reporter.”
- Served as Custom Publications Writer/Coordinator for three years before transferring to the newsroom. Supervised a cadre of freelancers, helping to publish more than 100 publications in a typical calendar year. In 2004, projects I worked on generated more than $14 million in revenue for The Star.
2000-2002 Copy Editor – IDG Books/Hungry Minds/Wiley Publishing, Indianapolis, IN
- Copyedited, fact-checked, partially rewrote and created conventions for Potty Training For Dummies, Ireland For Dummies, CliffsNotes’ Ethan Frome and dozens of other titles.
- Was the principal copy editor for the Training Diaries For Dummies series of books with major input on the look, feel and content of the titles.
1999-2002 Assistant Editor – Legislative Services Agency, Indianapolis, IN
- Proofread and edited bills before they appeared on the floor of the Indiana General Assembly under strict daily and weekly deadlines. Worked part-time in 2001 and 2002.
- Assisted in the completion of the 2000 Indiana Tax Handbook.
December 1996 Bachelor of Science degree, English Ball State University, Muncie, IN